Innovative Educational Solutions - Building the capacity of educators to meet the needs of ALL students!
Dr. Sheri's Blog

Reflections on Working in Australian Schools: Part I

I thought I'd take a chance to jot down my thoughts throughout this amazing experience of working in Australian remote community schools. I was given the opportunity to work in these schools through the National Institute for Direct Instruction (NIFDI). When I first thought about working in Australia, I pictured working in a somewhat populated area, investigating restaurants in the evening, and staying in Australian hotels. As I learned more about what I'd be doing, I soon realized that the experience would be quite different. So...here's a short recap of what has happened so far.

About 90 days ago I received an email with the names of my remote schools - Nganmarriyanga, Peppimenarti, and Nganambala. I couldn't even pronounce the names and I had no idea where they could possibly be. Thank goodness for Google Earth. I was able to find the first two and, with help from my son Adrien, I was finally able to find Nganambala. I could tell from the map that they are, indeed, remote. Shortly after, I discovered that during the rainy season it is impossible to drive from site to site. As a result, I would need to take a charter flight to travel from Darwin to the first school, in between schools, and then back to Darwin. This was not good news for me. I have said many times in my life that I would never fly in a small plane. Well, you know what they say - "never say never."

Just a note about seasons in northern Australia. There aren't four seasons here - just two. There is the rainy season (which is technically summer - it happens around winter in the US) and the dry season (which is during summer in the US). During the rainy season it is incredibly green, and incredibly muddy. The roads get impassable for several months. My first trip was scheduled during the rainy season (the first of seven in 2015).

Preparation for the trip was interesting. There are limitations regarding weight of luggage on charter flights, so I needed to make sure that my luggage met the criteria. Also, there was no surety that I'd have access to a store in the communities in which I was working, so I needed to bring some food to hold me over in case I couldn't purchase anything. To add to the experience, many people who had never visited the Australian outback had lots of advice. I did my best to pack what I thought was necessary.

My flight to Sydney left at 10:20 pm from LAX. I traveled on an A380, which was wonderful. I had a terrific flight and slept about eight hours. Landing in Sydney was interesting. We had to go through border patrol, get our suitcases, go through customs, check our bags, go through security, then take a bus to a different terminal for our domestic flight. The process took over two hours and was slightly exhausting. However, the flight to Darwin was really good - I had an entire row to myself and I was hypnotized by the lovely geography of the Australian continent.

I stayed one night in Darwin. I shopped at a local mall, which seemed like any mall that you could find in America. I did a little shopping in KMart, and found a few things in Woolworths. All in all, I was disappointed that it didn't seem more different - more Australian.

The next morning I was driven to the charter company to catch my flight to Nganmarriyanga. We were shown to a Cessna, with room for six passengers. I was assigned the front seat, right next to the pilot. At first we had a little bit of a problem getting the left propeller to start, but it eventually started...right at the same time that the sky opened up and began a torrential downpour! In fact, it was raining so hard that the pilot had to open his side window and stick his head out in order to see the runway! I prayed a lot as we taxied and then were airborne. Quickly we flew out of the storm and I became completely mesmerized by the scenery.
We flew along the coastline and then took a turn inland. We were able to see Nganmarriyanga and Peppimenarti from the plane.

The landing was incredibly smooth and we disembarked and unloaded our stuff. Wow - was it hot!! In fact, it was unbelievably hot and humid. I was covered with sweat in exactly 30 seconds. The principal's aunt was there to meet us and we piled the luggage and ourselves into a classic SUV and hit the road. Or, should I say, hit the mud. The dirt roads were a huge mess of terracotta colored mud. I was shown the school and the store, then shown to my temporary quarters (10 days).

I'm incredibly fortunate in that I'm staying in a house that belongs to a couple who are on maternity leave. It is comfortable and right next to the principal's home, and just down the road from the school and the store. I went to the store yesterday with one of the new teachers and was surprised to find a variety of items for sale, including a drum set and a stereo system (on sale for $1500!!). I purchased a few items and returned "home."

Last night I had dinner with the principal and his lovely family. He has a wife who works at the school and who is expecting their third child. Her parents are visiting and I had a wonderful dinner with excellent conversation. Their children are lovely and I feel so blessed to have this opportunity to meet this special family. They are doing incredible work here and are dedicated to making a difference for the indigenous people in this area.

Today is a quiet day; I'm prepping for the first day of school, which is tomorrow! Thanks to the fact I have internet coverage, I've been able to FaceTime and Skype with my family and I feel like I'm not too far away.

30 Comments to Reflections on Working in Australian Schools: Part I:

Comments RSS
Steve Zuieback on Saturday, January 31, 2015 9:58 PM
Glad you got there safe and sound and that you are enjoying the environment and the people

Sheri on Monday, February 2, 2015 1:12 AM
Hi Steve - I'm having a great time and learning so much!

Teresa Dennis on Sunday, February 1, 2015 11:04 AM
Thank you for sharing your grand ADVENTURE with us! I'm praying for your health & for your work there to be effective.

Sheri on Monday, February 2, 2015 1:15 AM
Teresa - thanks for your prayers. I think I definitely will need prayers for health as there seem to be a lot of runny noses about!

Carol Burmeister on Thursday, February 5, 2015 5:17 PM
Hey Partner! So glad you arrived safely. Great job with your packing--it sounds like you have what you need and that you met all weight restrictions with your luggage on flights. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us, including all of the photos. Keep up the great work!

ann on Monday, August 7, 2017 2:08 AM
Enormous post. Really good-looking blog. A bunch of blogs, I watch these days don't really present anything that I'm interested in. but I'm most definitely interest in this one. I am in really happy with article quality and direction. This post is mark on in helpful how some thought apply to any script point. Thanks a lot for protection enormous things. I am enormously a good deal thankful used designed for this place. Also visit:https://www.triumphessays.com/

loemrntdherid1 on Sunday, May 27, 2018 11:16 PM
Your blog posts looks unique and informative. Thanks for sharing this awesome information.

aussie essay writing review on Saturday, June 2, 2018 2:25 PM
The schools of the Australia are working that how to polish the new students and that how to reflect their lights back. As the knowledge of reflection the students need to read the new book with new ideas to hit the reflection of the darkness.

Mike on Thursday, August 9, 2018 4:58 AM
I visit first time on this page I really excited to read your post, thanks for nice sharing I am also sharing this post on my friends. garage shelving units

Horent Halley on Thursday, August 9, 2018 5:44 AM
Sometime i really very happy, when i read these type of post. I am very thankful to you. You have done a great job. Keep it up ans share more posts. caster wheels

bramzy on Saturday, February 16, 2019 12:45 PM
I am for the first time here. I found this blog very informative.Thanks for sharing. how does super visa insurance work

jod on Saturday, February 16, 2019 4:59 PM
I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great blog. invisible aligners near me

Amiz on Saturday, February 23, 2019 4:06 PM
Thanks a lot for the post. It has helped me get some nice ideas. I hope I will see some really good result soon. https://biblearena.org/

net worth on Monday, April 29, 2019 6:44 PM
It’s really a great and helpful piece of information. I am glad that you simply shared this helpful information with us. i will be back soon. Thanks for sharing

Kris Thorkelson on Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:02 AM
Kris Thorkelson, who began his career in the pharmaceutical industry in Winnipeg, Manitoba, operates several pharmacies, in addition to his real estate business. “As a leader, it is your role to praise employees who do a good job,” Thorkelson adds.

sims 4 cheats on Tuesday, January 7, 2020 12:37 AM
You have explain so well about the medical health. This is very sensitive issue. I like the information.Explore a supernatural world and master the art of wizady in game sims 4 cheats : realm of magic.

digital marketing agency Adelaide on Tuesday, February 11, 2020 5:46 AM
The organization's anything but difficult to-process blog entries make for a profitable promoting asset. They additionally offer free online classes, downloadable aides, for example, "10 Ways to Get Traffic to Your Ecommerce Site" and "The 80/20 Approach to Content Marketing" in addition to a ROI projection device.

Useless Websites on Wednesday, February 12, 2020 4:07 AM
Reflections on Working in Australian Schools: Part I Useless Websites
Reply to comment

http://geeklesstech.com/best-android-emulators-for-mac on Friday, March 13, 2020 1:14 AM
In any case, Android emulation on PC is viable and we’re going to check the exceptional Android emulators for PC. Please word, the manner can get pretty technical and a number of these require a chunk of a studying curve. The marketplace bogged down a lot in recent years with many old favorites (Andy, AmiduOS, and Leapdroid) completely leaving the distance or becoming unusable. You can find out approximately their fates at the bottom of the item.

jack on Friday, March 20, 2020 3:04 AM
Are you looking for a thorough toto site? We recommend toto sites suitable for your desired conditions!

small tattoos on Saturday, April 4, 2020 2:36 AM
small tattoos https://inksmalltattoos.com/ small tattoos

funny engineering team names on Thursday, May 21, 2020 6:11 AM
Incorporate creature names: Use of creature names is additionally normal these days, for instance, Black widows, White Tigers and so forth. Are you intrigued to pick an interesting group name instead of an ordinary cool name? Do you have some incredibly interesting characters in your building gathering? All things considered, don't stress on the grounds that here we think of some stunning interesting naming thoughts for your building group.

Renting apartment on Saturday, May 30, 2020 4:23 AM
Searching for a loft, in itself, is an immense assignment. While searching for a loft, there are such a large number of things one needs to consider. From Price range, area and design to clamor and extra room; we need to think of them as all and not to overlook getting that area of decision.

black friday vpn deals 2020 on Thursday, June 18, 2020 4:38 AM
There have been numerous false cases in the digital world while opening different programs in the advanced world. Presently, it has gotten important for clients to shield themselves from security dangers. To make sure about yourself from security dangers, you should buy a VPN which will fathom your security dangers. The VPN assists with social affair all the data of a specific through the online exercises of the website and all the data given by that webpage. It assists track with bringing down a wide range of security dangers and extortion exercises with the assistance of the data it accumulates

divorce spells on Sunday, June 28, 2020 10:39 PM
This adoration spell uses the intensity of considerations, activities, and common components to bring back you Ex-darling and it isn't manipulative or negative since it doesn't endeavor to make musings or sentiments that don't as of now exist inside your Ex-accomplice. Rather, it makes the person in question mindful of considerations and emotions that they as of now have

riverfront residences singapore on Monday, June 29, 2020 9:59 PM
These comfort are on the many malls around the region. Magnificence World focus, and Bukit Timah Shopping Center are inside minutes stroll from Daintree Residence Toh Tuck. The two shopping centers built up in 1980s, there are general stores, for example, Giant Express and NTUC Fairprice Supermarket to serve close by inhabitants for the staple needs. Being one of the initial hardly any shopping complex in the area, there are various acclaimed diners inside, for example, Jew Kit Hainanese Chicken Rice, Hello Cafe, Joo Mak Korean Restaurant, Dulukala Peranakan Restaurant and Beauty World Food Center just to give some examples.

https://growyourbrand.org/ on Wednesday, July 15, 2020 7:10 AM
The thought is to get out there and addition introduction. Since the more individuals think about your site, your image and the items you sell, the more comfortable they become with your plan. Which in the end prompts cozy connections or holding that is created based on trust.
Reply to comment

daintree residence - www.daintrees-residence.com on Thursday, July 23, 2020 11:20 PM
Apartment suite Daintree Residence will likewise give advantage to inhabitants who discover fervor at the possibility dwelling close to a plenty of shopping openings. The designer has shown that the extravagance condominium will be perfect for occupants who appreciate taking part in the best shopping Singapore brings to the table because of its closeness to the Bukit Timah Shopping Center, just as the Beauty World Center, Bukit Timah Plaza, The Grandstand, and West Mall.

https://www.renderosity.com/?uid=1010477 on Monday, August 10, 2020 2:43 AM
Another epic notification of this VPN is its ability to give incredible speed along strong security and insurance features. You can in like manner assess live talk customer care for each moment of consistently and extra your inquiries. You in like manner don't need to stress over your own data and video runs a significant standard (in HD quality).

thewoodleighsresidences.com on Monday, August 24, 2020 8:53 AM
District 3 isn't simply the greatest destination for adults; your children are going to enjoy staying here also. This region has fun for many residents. There are lots of interesting things to do in District 3 along with your children that are also acceptable for each and every relative. You receive a chance to take part in adventurous entertaining, outdoor pursuits and learn more about the ethnic community.