Innovative Educational Solutions - Building the capacity of educators to meet the needs of ALL students!
Dr. Sheri's Blog

Going Even Deeper Down Under

Well, I'm in Darwin for the night, after flying on a single engine plane in and out of a very small town in the Australian bush. I've spent two days there in the school, flying back each evening to a larger town (large, as in, over 100 residents). I hardly slept the night before my first flight, but I soon found that I'm not frightened and, in fact, the views are amazing!

My new school is small (around 25 students, K-7th grade) and in a community sheltered by an amazing escarpment, with picturesque waterfalls and rough-hewn walls. The town is made up of one extended family, which causes some problems with the students at school who bring their arguments and disagreements with them.
The students at this school speak English quite well (in fact, they are very adept at producing some very common English swear words), and their literacy skills are a little bit higher than what I experienced last week. However, their behavior is unbelievable. They kick, hit, bite, throw things at each other, scream, yell, and call each other names. They do not hesitate in the least if there is an adult around (a kindergarten student actually hit the substitute teacher this afternoon). Getting them to sit, focus, and work is exhausting!
Luckily, this community has been blessed with an amazing principal, who could be working at Stanford University, but who has, instead, chosen to spend the last years before retirement in making a difference in these children's lives. She has taught in Australia, Hong Kong, the UK, and the US. She is Montessori trained and is open to trying new techniques to help the students learn. She and her husband, a retired chemist, live in a small flat attached to the school. She has only been there six months, but her influence is already being felt. She expects a lot out of the students, and, for the most part, they do what she asks. I'm enjoying working with her immensely; although she has such a wealth of experience, she is still incredibly humble and willing to learn and try new things.

Tomorrow morning I'm back in my charter plan and off to my little town to spend another day supporting the students and educators there. However, tonight I'm enjoying a comfy hotel room, having thoroughly appreciated a nice salad and glass of wine, while waiting for all my clothing to run through the laundry facilities in the hotel. It's amazing how little things take on so much more meaning when one experiences live with so much less!
As the Aussies say, "Cheers and G'day!"

Buffalo and horses on the way out of town

The school and school children on the approach to the airstrip

8 Comments to Going Even Deeper Down Under:

Comments RSS
custom wrting essay on Monday, December 05, 2016 3:27 AM
This blog article is going even deeper down with the following solutions. So many features you can find for following different stories and reviews.
Reply to comment

buy movie jackets on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 9:03 AM
I do think you’ve made a few genuinely interesting points. Very few folks would likely really picture this the way you simply do. I am actually fascinated that there are a great deal info on this subject which are bare and you did it consequently well, having a great deal course. Thank you.
Reply to comment

Experienced Social Media Expert on Friday, July 21, 2017 4:15 AM
Get best Social Media expert at Genesis Technologies in Indore.
Reply to comment

Questions on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 7:51 PM
Find the best essays on is my friend's profile page.
Reply to comment

blue waffle on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 12:08 AM
is a mythical sexually transmitted disease that is believed to have sprouted out of the female genitalia
Reply to comment

Soldier 76 Motorcycle Jack on Saturday, November 04, 2017 3:46 AM
answerer gave you great advice even if you aren't going to plant veggies. I've with bark mulch. I didn't want to put down sod until I knew I got.
Reply to comment

Celebrity Leather Jackets on Saturday, December 16, 2017 12:43 AM
these days are not that hard to fix. You could even buy a cheap diagnostic computer to tell you exactly what`s wrong with it. Go to www.usjobs.gov for excellent opportunities.
Reply to comment

write my college paper for me on Sunday, February 18, 2018 10:47 PM
It changed into clearly interesting for me to examine that article. Thanx for it. i love such subjects and whatever that is connected to this be counted. I genuinely want to study extra on that blog quickly.
Reply to comment